Friday, January 2, 2015

Article - "Tragedy of American Military"

According to a recently published article ". . . the American public and its political leadership will do anything for the military except take it seriously. The result is a chickenhawk nation in which careless spending and strategic folly combine to lure America into endless wars it can't win." The writer, James Fallows, states that the American public knows little about the members of the military. According to Fallow - ". . . about 2.5 million Americans, roughly three-quarters of 1 percent, served in Iraq or Afghanistan at any point in the post-9/11 years, many of them more than once". The other 99 per cent might know someone who served in the military. In his article he examines what he calls the "chickenhawk war, chickenhawk politics, and chickenhawk economy". He discusses the role of Congress and the newly elected members who are veterans of the Iraq and Afghan Wars. While the author has some valid points there are some detractors out there criticizing his work. A long read but worth it if you have the time. Read "The Tragedy of the American Military", by James Fallows, The Atlantic, January 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.